Secondary with Granitecanyon

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun Jun 4 22:34:36 UTC 2000

> I'm planning on running a primary master, and use Granitecanyon as a
> secondary.
>
> The curious thing is that Network Solutions wants me to specify two name
> servers for my domain.  Ok, one would expect before submitting a DNS
change
> to Network Solutions (and on to the root servers) that the name servers
> should be up and running, right?
>
> Well, to create a secondary at Granitecanyon you tell them what your
> primary is, and then they do a zone transfer.  But since I don't have a
> secondary yet I can't update my record at Network Solutions, and that
means
> Granitecanyon can't lookup my name server to do a zone transfer.
>
> I'm missing some thing here, as this seems like a chicken and egg problem.
> What step am I missing?

When you request that Granite Canyon's name server
act as a slave for your zone, you tell it the IP address
of the master server.  It doesn't ask Network Solutions
for that information.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.