Network browsing causes DNS lookup?

Lee Howard faxguy at server.deanox.com
Sat Jun 3 18:07:55 UTC 2000

>Would've helped a bit if you'd told us the versions (Win95, 98, NT, 2000).
>They behave differently in this respect.

I've got all sorts (95, 98, 3.1, NT, and 2000), but I've only confirmed
some (not all) 95 boxes doing the DNS queries when browsing Network
Neighborhood.  Specifically, one that does this is Win95C.

>That's BAD (Broken as designed).
>
>Windows (< W2K) does not use DNS for browsing (i.e. to find out "who's
>there?"). But depending on the properties of the IP stack you chose the use
>DNS to locate (i.e. find out "where is XXX?").

How do I find out the properties of the IP stack to check on this?

There are some linux boxes running samba on this same network - could that
have some inflence here?

Thanks.

Lee Howard