Migrating DNS from Solaris to Linux.....

Edwin Whitelaw Edwin.Whitelaw at gdats.com
Thu Jun 1 12:03:38 UTC 2000

Assuming you are running BIND 8.x  on the Suns, you can use the same data
files on the Linux box.  Otherwise, there is a Perl script to convert
named.boot to named.conf  and the /var/named files should be the same.  I'd
clone everything onto the new server and then point some test clients at it
and try resolving everything you can think of.  If it returns all the right
stuff, you can either repoint all your clients to it (ugh!!) or simply
reassign it the IP address to which they are already pointing.  Of course
that means the existing DNS host will have to give that address up so any
impact to other services on that host must be considered.

I have found that it doesn't take a great deal of processor/machine to serve
DNS only, we use an old Pentium 60MHz (16MB RAM/500MB HD) box for 500 folks
and the load never comes off of 0.0.  If you can, only run DNS on the host,
put it in the corner, and leave it alone!  :-)

Hope this helps,

Edwin Whitelaw
General Dynamics Advanced Technology Systems