auth-nxdomain

Nikos Voutsinas nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr
Thu Jun 1 15:53:19 UTC 2000

> In article <002301bfcbc5$97890b40$796486c3 at noc.uoa.gr>,
> Nikos Voutsinas <nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr> wrote:
> >How can I declare the auth-nxdomain?
>
> What do you mean by this?

Hello again,

I have an OpenView asking me for PTR records, for the most of the router
devices there in not a PTR records . So I want to avoid asking authoritative
servers and get each time the same response [Error: 3(Name Error)]
I also want to convince the resolrver  on the machine ,where the OpenView is
running not to asking me again and again for not existent PTR records.
That's why I need negative cache.
I' ve also read that I should check for the auth-nxdomain option to flag
cashed negative responses as authoritative.
How can I enable or disable this feature?
Do you have any other solution ?

> >       Also Is there any way to increase the
> >"TTL" of negative cashed responses?
>
> The MinTTL field of the SOA record specifies the negative cache TTL.

So there isn't any option like Solaris's  nscd for negative time to live
time

Nikos Voutsinas