Glue Records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 31 22:13:25 UTC 2000

When the name of a nameserver is in the domain it serves, this is a kind of
chicken-and-egg situation: you can't resolve the nameserver's name into an
address without asking it, but obviously you can't ask it if you don't know
its address!

Glue records solve the dilemma by simply allowing one to "hardwire" the
necessary A records into the zone's parent. The servers for the parent then
supply the glue records in the Additional Section of referrals they give
out for the zone.

- Kevin