Questions about MX record

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jul 31 21:26:49 UTC 2000

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 06:39:59PM -0500, Nick McCubbins wrote:
> I have been recently given the task of setting up a Linux box which will
> be primary mail exchanger and DNS server for our domain.  (BIND 8 and
> sendmail 8.1).
>
> My understanding is that I should have two "A" entries, one for
> mail.domain.com and one for domain.com, both pointing to the machine's
> IP address.
>
> Should I set the mx record to domain.com or mail.domain.com?  What
> effects will this have on my Sendmail configuration?

The only requirement is that the name on the right hand side of the MX
record, whatever it is, have an A record somewhere to give it an IP
address.  Of course, it does make more sense to have your e-mail go to
"mail.(whatever)", doesn't it?

OBTW - use 8.2.2-P5 instead of anything earlier.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B