Mailer fails with bind8

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 31 21:24:29 UTC 2000

s.g.kamath at usa.net wrote:

> I have a problem with KX mailer and bind8.   When the KX mailer sends a
> mail to domain say xxx.yyy, it fails.
> Looking at the trace,   I see the following :
> 1.  The mailer sends an MX query to the name server for the query name
> xxx.yyy
> 2.  The name server sends a response  with SOA records, but no MX
> records.
> 3.   The mailer now sends an A query to the name server  with the query
> name xxx.yyy.   This is as per RFC 974 - that when a mailer receives no
> MX records, it is supposed to treat it as  if it contained one RR, an MX
> RR with a preference value of 0, and host name name of xxx.yyy
> 4.  The name server responds back with the A records.
>
> However, the mailer still fails.   Has anyone come across this
> problem?   Isn't it a problem with the mailer?  Could anyone advise  on
> this?    Is there any RFC that suggests what the mailer is supposed to
> do?

Well, the next step after getting the A records is to try connecting to the
addresses. Is the mailer even attempting that? Is it timing out or getting
a refused connection? If there are multiple A records and it fails to
connect to the first one, does it try the second one? There are many things
which can go wrong with an SMTP transaction which have nothing to do with
DNS.

- Kevin