non-recursive DNS server in sub-class C

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 31 20:50:39 UTC 2000

Ross wrote:

> I'd like to place a non-recursive, non-caching DNS primary server in a
> sub-class C network.
>
> It will be primary for the sub-class C net (D-27.C.B.A.inadder.arpa)
>
> Directing an nslookup to it from an internal machine, causes an unknown
> host/domain error. But on the server using "nslookup ???? 127.0.0.1"
> succeeds.

This is a quirk of nslookup. It aborts if it can't reverse-resolve the
address of the nameserver. Is your resolv.conf set to use 127.0.0.1 as the
first nameserver? If so, you could configure 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa on the
box. You could use a better tool like "dig", which doesn't have this
problem. Or do both.

> I assume the server must talk to the primary dns server of the full
> class C net, inorder to resolve itself.

This would only be true if you used a real address in resolv.conf instead
of loopback. In that case, after you get all of the RFC 2317 stuff done,
you should consider becoming a slave for the C-class in-addr.arpa zone so
that you will always have this information in your authoritative data.

- Kevin