Newbie: Please check my configuration files to make sure I won't bring down DNS

Maurizio Cimaschi mcc at iol.it
Mon Jul 31 18:59:20 UTC 2000

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 04:19:22PM +0000, Manuel McLure wrote:
> >I think it's better "internal."
> Why? Is there any requirement that the internal zone not be a subdomain of
> an external zone? Is it to avoid the requirement of adding a glue record?

In this case you don't say to the world that you have an internal lan.

> >While the sub-domain leng has a A record, the last RR is not nedeed.
> I'm following the DNS and BIND book, which suggests adding an MX record
> for each mail host pointing to itself.

At pag.94 it seems that a particoular MTA may have some problem when the
MX record misses; in fact RFC 974 states (pag. 4/5):

   It is possible that the list of MXs in the response to the query will
   be empty.  This is a special case.  If the list is empty, mailers
   should treat it as if it contained one RR, an MX RR with a preference
   value of 0, and a host name of REMOTE.  (I.e., REMOTE is its only
   MX).  In addition, the mailer should do no further processing on the
   list, but should attempt to deliver the message to REMOTE.  The idea
   that if a domain fails to advertise any information about a
   particular name we will give it the benefit of the doubt and attempt
   delivery.

I think that this means that every host is the mailer exchange for itself.

--
Ciao, Maurizio.