associate registered domain with static IP

atlantis at freedomweb.com atlantis at freedomweb.com
Thu Jul 27 00:51:16 UTC 2000

Here is some help for you:

1) If your ISP does DNS for www.joshandchad.com then they will set up
DNS records for you.

In plain english something along these lines:

www.joshandchad.com (is at)	206.228.214.20
joshandchad.com.	(is at)	206.228.214.20
the mail server for joshandchad.com (is at) [whatever host IP will do
your email]

They can also set up MX records so you can have email at joshandchad.com

If 206.228.214.20 is the static IP address you got and its
corresponding hostname is static20.i-americ.net you can use this same
IP address in the DNS records of your domain.

How it currently would work.

1) request for your the resolution of www.joshandchad.com comes into
your nameservers :
NS1.NETCORPS.COM            207.1.125.101 and NS2.NETCORPS.COM
207.1.125.102

2) The name servers respond with the IP address of
www.joshandchad.com which is 206.228.214.20

3) The web browser now resolved the name now has the IP address to
contact your web server running on 206.228.214.20

Thats it!  Thats DNS 101.

To answer your direct questions below:

1) Alldomains.com may do DNS hosting, I don't know. Whose
NETCORPS.COM? They are currently doing your DNS.

2) Contacting your ISP is probably the best since they own the IP
address.  Hmm, i-americ.net is not a valid domain? Did you spell
something wrong? Did you mean i-america.net? That makes more sense.
Yes, then your ISP will advise you on what Name Servers you should
put on your domain registration. It may or may not be the ones you
list below.

3) Yes, you could set up DNS yourself. Are you on a DSL line?  You
have to have two separate DNS servers at a minimum and they can not
be the same IP address like you listed below. You must at least have
a primary and secondary. The primary is always the first listed and
the secondary is the second. You can have multiple secondaries for
extra protection. Most people do not. To really follow the rules your
secondary would be located on a completely different network. My
domain is currently NOT set up like that, but I will be changing soon.

Hope all this helps get you on your feet.

Good luck,

Jason