zone delegation and forwarders

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 26 22:07:42 UTC 2000

Larson, Matt wrote:

> > My current DNS setup has a master server that supports the internal
> > (behind the firewall) view of the fujitsu.com.au domain. The
> > configuration is set to forward to the external DNS server, any
> > unresolvable requests.
> > This has worked fine until now when I've been asked to add
> > and delgate a
> > zone for a W2000 project. This doesn't work with forwarders ('DNS and
> > BIND', 3rd Edition, P 383) and internal roots are not an option.
> >
> > Is this issues addressed in BIND 8.2.3 or do I have to wait
> > for BIND 9?
>
> You can do it in BIND 8.2.1 and later using the
> flexible/conditional/selective forwarding features.  (Which, BTW,
> desperately need a name that everyone agrees on.)

I prefer "selective" over "conditional" for this because the latter is too
broad: it could refer to *any* condition -- client source address (as in the
"Cricket" version of "views"), time of day, phase of the moon, whatever -- or
combination of conditions whereas "selective" implies more to me that only a
very narrow decision is being made based on a very small, very relevant number
of parameters, possibly only one, e.g. the zone in which the queried name is
contained.

Lately I've been leaning towards "per-zone forwarding" which is totally
unambiguous.

- Kevin