DNS 8.22P5 and WinNT

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Wed Jul 26 12:02:36 UTC 2000

>We are actually running 2 DNS servers ISC Bind 8.22P5 on WinNT 4.0,
>downloaded from http:\\bIND8NT.MEIway.com.
>
>After a query for e.g. "www.gmx.at" we encounter the problem described on
>http://bIND8NT.MEIway.com/bugs.cfm.
>So we temporarily fixed the bug as described on the page.
>
>Has anyone else necountered this problem and if,

You mean the "multiple A" record pb?  yes, several DLers have reported back
to me on this.

>could you please tell me which "buggy" zones you found?

3 or 4 people had serious pb with a BIND8/NT doing an A query for
adsdl.conducent.com, but there DNS was a lot more screwed a couple of
months ago, and they have cleaned it up quite a bit.  The last time I
helped a n ISP get around the pb, about 2 weeks ago, adsdl.conducent.com
was returning about 60 A records, and we fixed him with a combo of my
bka.bat and dummy conducent zone tactics. He runs just fine now.

Then last week, a guy contacted me about running 8.2.2 p5 on W2K.  I said
it wasn't a tested platform (although there have been reports of BIND 8.2.2
p5 for NT4 working fine on W2K).  It worked fine for him, so I asked him
if, while he stood buy, could I try to hang his BIND with the
adsdl.conducent.com query. I tried many times, but conducent.com's
delegation was so screwed up that I couldn't get their "SCA" ns's to answer
the A query, and it's only the SCA NS's that have the 60 A  records, the
other 3 NS's only return 2 records, and BIND won't hang with just 1 or 2 A
records.   So I couldn't see if 8.2.2 p5's bugs on NT4 port were
accientally insecticided on W2K.

afaik, there is no list of zones that return dozens of A records.  You'll
have to develop your own, solving your most frequent pb's with dummy zone,
and the catching the rest with bka.bat.

If you have this pb, follow the instructions on my bugs.cfm page, combining
the BKA.bat + dummy zone tactics, and you'll be ok.  Select the dummy zone
file domain by turning on named logging and then, when named halts, see the
last one or two queries in the named.run file as candidates for being
dummied.  Use dig to verify that those zones are returing multiple A records

I still have no esteimated time of arrival for the NT port being fixed BIND
8.2.3 or of the availability of BIND9 on NT4 or W2K.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5  installable binary for NT4
http://IMGate.MEIway.com:  Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways