two authoritative binds for a domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 25 23:58:49 UTC 2000

Milos Prudek wrote:

> I have the following problem.
>
> There are two versions of "domain.foo". One for the Internet, and one
> for the intranet. Each version is administered by different machine. The
> Internet version of course does not expose our intranet names. Each bind
> thinks that it is authoritative nameserver for domain.foo
>
> I want the intranet bind to also resolve Internet names. Therefore I
> addes the Internet bind IP to the intranet /etc/resolv.conf. I thought
> that intranet bind would not ask the Internet bind for domain.foo names,
> because the intranet bind is authoritative for domain.foo and does not
> need any advice from the Internet bind :-) the trouble is that now
> intranet bind IS taking all domain.foo info from the Internet bind. I
> have even specified the overriding information to /etc/hosts of the
> intranet machine, but it did not help.

/etc/resolv.conf only controls your resolver, not your nameserver.

What you probably want is to forward queries from your intranet server to
your Internet server. This forwarding will only occur for non-cached,
non-authoritative names, so you'll still be able to resolve your intranet
domain.foo names just fine -- you'll never forward those queries.

-Kevin