Questions about "incomplete" additional data

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Tue Jul 25 04:20:37 UTC 2000

> Named will look up missing records whenever it has attempted
> to find them and failed except when sysquery calls sysquery
> and the later sysquery needs a sysquery.
>
> So the answer to this particular question is "when it tries
> to add the additional record to the response".

Actually, Matt asked what a BIND name server does when it
*receives* a referral that's missing one or more A RRs in
its additional data.

It looks to me from a cursory reading of ns_resp() in ns_resp.c
that this gets done as soon as you try to use the NS RRset.  You
call nslookup(), which finds those A RRs we have cached via
nlookup() and gets the rest using sysquery().  Is that close?

cricket