Can't get to internal www server from the outside

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Jul 21 19:10:33 UTC 2000

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 11:42:10AM -0700, Mark Johannessen wrote:
> But won't that forward ALL web requests (ie to port 80 on the redhat box) to
> one specific inside box?  To clarify my setup, I want all requests for
> www.rudeboysrecords.com to go to the Mac streaming server, and requests for
> www.whatever.com to go to another box delivering content in some other manner.

I had to go back to look at the original question.

It has already been pointed out that you cannot route private internet
addresses over the public Internet.

You must somehow differentiate, externally, requests for your two
internal servers.  One is to buy a second external IP address, and have
the external NIC accept IP on both addresses.  Map one to one server
and the other to the other.  Another is to have them come in on
different ports (80 and 8080, e.g.) on the same IP address.

I take that back.  There may be another way.  Map all incoming requests
to one Apache server.  If the URL refers to the other server, have the
first Apache server proxy requests to the second.  Yes, this is more
complicated.  No, I have never done it myself.  But it is theoretically
possible.

Fair 'nuff?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B