Help confused with bind problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 20 21:01:35 UTC 2000

Julian wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two DNS servers, Primary being a bind 4.X on a linux box, and the
> secondary DNS being a Winnt 4 server running microsoft DNS. These both
> are able to resolve and seem to work properly. Just recently i have
> noticed that the linux boxes syslog, reports that it can't find root
> server A, B, C, etc [hint}xxzxx, I gather that the file that contains
> the list of root servers is a bit old. How do I update this file? just
> copy the new file or is it a bit more complex?

You can just copy the file. But it hasn't changed in many years, and the
changes have only been additions. If you can't talk to a.root-servers.net,
it's almost certainly some sort of networking problem, not an out-of-date
hints file problem.

> My second problem is of major concern but I can't work it out. When I
> register  / deligate a domain name with ina (In Australia) after
> entering the following NS info
> -------
> Primary ns : cymaster.cybernetint.net     203.36.103.33
> Second ns : ntserver1.cybernetint.net     203.36.103.1
> ---------
>
> When ina's systems checks the DNS information, it reports that :
> cymaster.cybernetint.net  has no record of NS ntserver1.cybernetint.net
>
> And thus fails to deligate the requested name. But both name servers are
> list in the config files. Any idea's?

cybernetint.net is currently delegated to cymaster.cybernetint.net and
ns1.telstra.net. Although both of those servers can resolve
ntserver1.cybernetint.net, neither of them reports that name as an NS for
the zone. That's probably what ina is squawking about. They probably
require the existing servers to be reporting the NS before they will add it
to the delegation.

- Kevin