Intermitant DNS errors

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 20 02:02:20 UTC 2000

Shane Wegner wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 06:14:17PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> >
> > I can't get any answer out of continuum.cm.nu. Could it be that the servers which are having
> > the problem are trying that server first and timing out the whole query too quickly? You
> > should get continuum fixed or remove/replace the NS records pointing to it.
> Hi,
>
> continuum.cm.nu was down briefly today but I don't think that's the problem
> as it came off a 60 day uptime.  Besides, isn't the idea of multiple DNS
> servers that one or more can go down and the domain will still resolve OK?

Yeah, that's the idea, but some crappy implementations might time out too quickly.

I don't know why might be getting these intermittent failures. There's nothing obvious from a
DNS perspective. Possibly you don't have enough network diversity amongst all 3 nameservers, so
that from certain places at certain times, due to network congestion or whatever, none of your
servers can be contacted. Such a situation might be hard to troubleshoot...

- Kevin