Problems with in-addr.arpa...

M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com
Tue Jul 18 21:15:35 UTC 2000

You need to post your files for any detailed help.  And please loose the
nospam thing.

It sounds like you may be forgetting a trailing dot.  Make sure your PTR
records look like:

83      IN      PTR    test.example.com.

Mike

--
Mike Ashcraft, Sr. Network Engineer
epixtech, Inc.
M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com

                    dennisp
                    <dploegerNOdpSPAM at gmx.d        To:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
                    e.invalid>                     cc:
                    Sent by:                       Subject:     Problems with in-addr.arpa...
                    news at wrenphoon3.ex.rema
                    rq.com

                    07/18/00 01:39 AM

Hi !

I built that DNS using bind 8 and created one zone for our
domain and a in-addr.arpa zone for the reverse records
(16.172.in-addr.arpa).

I entered all the hostnames and ip-adresses into the first
zone-file and entered the reverse ip-addresses into the
in-addr.arpa-file.
(1.3.       IN PTR  myhost) for example

But when I try a nslookup on a ip-address I get the name +
in-addr.arpa as the real name for the host. Obviously,
that's wrong!

Did I made a mistake somewhere?? I only got a book
concerning bind4 and can't find nothing for that on the
internet.

So thx in advance,
Dennis

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping.  Smart is
Beautiful