CNAMES or a regular A records ?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Jul 18 16:12:24 UTC 2000

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 04:37:26PM +0200, Amir wrote:

> Hey all... My server is running all of the services, mail , www , and dns..
> i want hostnames to be "dns.example.com" "mail.example.com" and
> "www.example.com" ...
> What is the proper "rfc" way of assigning those names ?
> what should be the A record , what should be the CNAMES , and what happens
> if i simply
> make them all A records ?
> Thanks .. amir

Just name them with "A" records, unless the servers already have their
own correct canonical names [CNAMEs].  For instance, if you just wanted
to make these their names, then after the SOA and NS records in your
example.com zone file, you would have [e.g.]

dns		IN  A		1
mail		IN  A		2
www		IN  A		3

Or, if your servers already had names, you may use CNAME records - but
don't use the aliases in NS or MX records!!!

rebekah		IN  A		1
miryam		IN  A		2
ruth		IN  A		3
dns		IN  CNAME	rebekah