unrelated additional info

Larson, Matt mlarson at netsol.com
Tue Jul 18 12:52:42 UTC 2000

> Can somebody help me understand what my servers are trying to tell me?
>
> Jul 17 12:35:40 localhost named[353]: bad referral (. !< NET)
> Jul 17 12:35:40 localhost last message repeated 12 times
> Jul 17 12:35:40 localhost named[353]: unrelated additional info
> 'M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET' type A from [10.128.128.200].53
> [rest deleted]

For a literal explanation of the errors, see
http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.htm and search for "bad
referral" and "unrelated".

Because of the proximity of the two sets of errors in the log file, it looks
like your name server was querying a name server at 10.128.128.200 that it
thought should be authoritative for the net zone; however, this name server
was not authoritative for net and instead returned a referral to the root
zone.  Something must have been strange about that referral, since the A
records in its additional section were ignored.

The bigger question is why your name server was querying a net name server
at 10.128.128.200.  Can you tell us a little more about your setup?

Matt
--
Matt Larson <mlarson at netsol.com>
Network Solutions Registry / www.nsiregistry.com