newbie MS DNS as Secondary for BIND

J!M jim at symbolicsite.com
Mon Jul 17 14:16:02 UTC 2000

Hello again,

This should be easy.. but I haven't found an easy answer in my
searching. I'm setting up BIND (8.2.2_P5-9) on a RedHat Linux
box, to run DNS for multiple domains on a DSL connection. My
ISP agreed to run secondary for me - they are using MS DNS on
NT 4.0, and  Iget the idea thay haven't had to do this previously.

In my named.conf OPTIONS secion, I list the IP of their DNS server
in 'forwarders', and for each zone, I have it in the 'allow-transfer'. Is
this all I have to do on my end? I'm guessing that for each domain I
have, I will have to ask them to add a zone record to their DNS as
well...? Can someone with MS DNS experience give me the scoop
here? What do I ask them to do now to enable this setup, and will I
have to ask them to add a zone record for each zone I add in the
future, or is the update "smart" enough to recognize new zones as
well as updated zone data?

Thanks,
J!M