named is causing severe traffic

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 14 23:07:03 UTC 2000

1. If you're using private addressing and DNS, you really need to set up
your server as master for the relevant in-addr.arpa zone(s)
(168.192.in-addr.arpa, in your case) so that you don't pollute the
Internet DNS with those queries.
2. Find out what on your network is generating a reverse lookup for
192.168.100.1 "every minute or so" and shut it up.
3. Your forwarder appears to be not giving you good answers to ./NS and
1.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa/PTR queries. If you were getting a good
answer to either of those (even a negative "doesn't exist" answer would
be considered a "good" one), you'd cache it and wouldn't have to keep
re-asking the same question over and over again. Do some investigation
with "dig" or whatever to see how the forwarder responds to such
queries. If necessary, talk to the admin(s) of the forwarder.

- Kevin