primary&secondary

John Narron zeek at cdsinet.net
Thu Jul 13 16:58:38 UTC 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Sumith Ail wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:34:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sumith Ail <sumithail3 at yahoo.com>
> To: bind-users at isc.org
> Subject: primary&secondary
>

> Greetings
>
> Well.. I wanna know if its possible to run the primary
> and slave name servers on a single linux box.
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> Sumith

There's nothing stopping you from doing this, but it completely
defeats the whole purpose of having 2 or more name servers.  The
whole idea is that if one nameserver fails for whatever reason
(hardware failure, software failure, admin failure, earthquake,
tornado, alien invasion, world coming to an end, etc.), then you
have another nameserver to take over while you get the other one
working again.  See also: redundancy.

  - John

John Narron - jnarron at cdsinet.net        | "If I die tomorrow
Network Administration                   |    I'll be alright because I believe
CDS/CDSinet, LLC http://www.cdsinet.net  |  That after we're gone
122 N. Lafayette, Marshall, MO  65340    |    The spirit carries on."
fon: (660) 886 4045 fax: (660) 886 4065  |    - Dream Theater