problems trying to add new in-addr.arpa. zones

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jul 12 17:59:55 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 05:48:06PM +0100, Gordon Grant wrote:
> I've trying to add to add two new in-addr.arpa. zones to an existing primary
> nameserver.
>
> I've created zone files for the new zones, and added them into the config
> files.  I can't see a problem with the syntax in either.
>
> However, when I reload the nameserver with either
>
>    ndc> reload
> or
>    ndc> reconfig
>
> the primary silently ignores the new zones.  Slave nameservers won't
> transfer the new zones complaining that the primary isn't authoritative.
> The corresponding forward-mapping zone loads and works properly.
>
> What's missing?

Details of your problem.

In the absence of details:
- Make sure that you have correct zone statements in your named.conf
file.
- Make sure that the zone file for each new in-addr.arpa zone has an
SOA record [a correct one] and all of the NS records.
- Make sure that the PTR records have correct relative numbers or
absolute names on the left, and absolute names [dot-terminated] on the
right.
- Make sure that you've checked all 'named' output to console or syslog
for error messages for those zones.
- Make sure that the parent zone for your new in-addr.arpa zones has
delegated to you.

If all else fails, ask again, with details such as copies of your
named.conf and zone files, and examples of lookups against both your
local server and remote servers.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B