file zone syntax

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Jul 12 03:42:29 UTC 2000

> i'm trying to setup NS server and i have this question.. I'm not sure if
> it's okay to ask here .. i hope it's okay:)
> anyway here is my question:
>
> in file zone I have
>
> Begining of Example 1
>
> www.mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.1
> www.mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.2
> www.mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.3
>
> End of Example 1
>
> or would be just right to have something like this
>
> Begining of Example 2
>
> mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.1
> mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.2
> mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.3
> mydomain.com		IN	CNAME		www.mydomain.com
>
> End of Example 2

	Example 2 in illegal as it breaks the CNAME and other data
	rule.  You would have both A records and CNAMES with the
	same owner.

	If you have the cname the other way around you will
	achieve what you want. i.e. www.domain.com and domain.com
	mapping to the same IP addresses.

mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.1
mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.2
mydomain.com		IN	A		192.168.0.3
www.mydomain.com	IN	CNAME		mydomain.com

> which one would be "more" right example 1 or example2
>
> also
>
> i have MX Records
>
> mydomain.com.	IN	MX	10	192.168.0.1
> mydomain.com.	IN	MX	10	192.168.0.2
> mydomain.com.	IN	MX	20	192.168.0.3
>
> would that be right?
> i want traffic to be shared between first two ips
> and if they wont handle it traffic will switch to 3rd ip

	MX records require hostnames not IP addresses.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com