DNS Tracing

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 12 00:32:50 UTC 2000

My compliments to your superior sleuthing, Jim! You hit the nail on the
head.

The only thing I'd add is that ecs1.altamente.com is almost certainly a
server for some other domain; my experience has been that Network
Solutions has been pretty good about removing host records (and the glue
records associated with them), when their reference count drops to zero.
If this is true, then I doubt that NSI will permit immediate deletion of
the host record, it'll have to be changed instead, or ecs1will need to be
removed from the delegation(s) for the other domain(s) first. (Finding
out which domains those are should be possible by examining the query
logs on ecs1, assuming it's still running a nameserver, and that the
nameserver has query logging capability).

- Kevin