DNS Delegation

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 6 17:39:35 UTC 2000

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 01:42:48PM +0200, Christian Krackowizer wrote:
> At 12:21 06.07.2000 +0100, you wrote:
> >I am a bit stuck on how to delegate a domain ... We have a domain eg.
> >xyz.com which resides in the US ... We want to create a subdomain called
> >europe.xyz.com, but the DNS for this needs to be handled by our European
> >offices ... For this to work do we just need to add an entry to the xyz.com
> >DNS as
> >
> >europe          NS      ns0.europe.xyz.com
>
> nearly exact:
>
> >europe          NS      ns0.europe.xyz.com.

Yes, the dot is necessary for this form.  Alternately, you could phrase
it with relative names:

europe		NS	ns0.europe

> you can specify the A record too
>
> ns0.europe.xyz.com.     A       xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Not only "can", but "must", otherwise anyone trying to get to the site
will not be able to find the name server!

Again, it is legitimate to use relative forms:

ns0.europe		A	www.xxx.yyy.zzz

Relative forms versus absolute are a style and maintainability issue
only.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B