Can BIND filter NetBIOS name resolution?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Jul 6 17:06:51 UTC 2000

    Tim> Anyway to cut a long story short.  Is it possible to
    Tim> configure BIND to discard lookups for NetBIOS names? (even
    Tim> though when the WINS server sends the request they follow the
    Tim> FQDN format).

Yes. I'd blackhole{} the IP addresses of the misconfigured hosts that
lookup WINS names in the DNS. When the users of those boxes complain
that "the network is down" - because the name server no longer speaks
to them - you can get them to fix their broken configurations.

Another approach is to configure your server as master for a bunch of
domains that have the same name as the offending WINS names. Then have
an A record with a VERY long TTL for each domain name/WINS name that
points somewhere useless but harmless like 127.0.0.1.