Bind on strange UDP ports?

Erik Parker eparker at mindsec.com
Thu Jul 6 03:08:07 UTC 2000

Ok I've never really noticed this behavior before.. But I am seeing it on
a few servers..

Bind is binding to the ports specified in the named.conf, port 53.. UDP
and TCP.

It is also binding on a high port.. like 4431 UDP. Then if you ndc reload
it steps up one port to 4432.. Sometimes it skips a few.. Up to like
4437.. then another ndc reload it ups to 4438. And so on. Well this causes
a problem.. It binds to EVER interface, even if you have the named.conf
telling it to only bind on one interface.

What is this UDP port.. How do you get rid of it.. and why is it
there.. and not in any documentation? (Or is it?)

Erik Parker
eparker at mindsec.com