Request about BIND 8.2.2 patchlevel 5.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 5 21:02:01 UTC 2000

Philippe Benchemoul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will change my secondary server  by a new system and in this way
> I want to change the release of BIND.
>
> So, my primary will be with BIND 8.1.2 and my secondary with BIND 8.2.2
> patchlevel 5.
>
> 1/ I want to know if it's possible.
> 2/ If it'is, I want to know the right way to install the secondary
> and pehaps if I have to patch "db_load.c".

1/ Yes, you can mix BIND 8.1.x and BIND 8.2.x masters and slaves without
any problems.2/ You would install BIND on the slave the same way you'd
install BIND on any machine. You'll need the "named", "named-xfer" and (if
you use it) the "ndc" executables, at a bare minimum. I'm not sure why you
would want to patch db_load.c; what would be the purpose? A slave will
load the zone file which is created by "named-xfer" as the result of a
zone transfer -- as long as "named" and "named-xfer" are from the same
BIND release, then "named" should have no problem parsing that zone file,
and no modifications of "db_load.c" should be necessary.

- Kevin