Troll alert: was:

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Tue Jul 4 20:56:22 UTC 2000

> >On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Paul Jacobs wrote:
> >
> >-
> >- Do check out mail.netpacq.net
> >
> >Why?  the MX record for netpacq.com is mail.netpacq.com:
> Well if you had this is what you would have found!
>
> 220 ns1.netpacq.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.10.1/8.10.0.Beta12; Tue, 4 Jul 2000
> 11:46:55 -0700
>

> Glad to see my DNS is working good... thanks for that info!

Before making that claim, you should fix the following problems:

  1.  The RNAME field of the SOA record should be 'webmaster.cx1.com'.
      The "@" character is never valid in this field, even if escaped.

  2.  The root nameservers list the following hosts to be authoritative
      for 'netpacq.com':

        NS1.NETPACQ.NET.        2D IN A         208.239.156.4
        NS3.NETPACQ.NET.        2D IN A         208.239.156.6
        NS2.NETPACQ.NET.        2D IN A         208.239.156.5
        NS1.ARDENTMICRO.com.    2D IN A         206.20.122.11

      The first two are indeed authoritative although 'ns3' is missing
      from your NS RRset.  The last two nameservers are not authoritative
      for your zone, however.  This could very well be due to their
      refusal to load your zone because of the bad SOA record.  If these
      two nameservers resume being authoritative for your zone after the
      SOA RR fix, they should also be added to your NS RRset.

  3.  Finally, it would be a good idea to *not* override BIND's default
      level of name checking on your master nameserver:

        check-names master fail;

      The error message about your SOA record would have been discovered
      in your syslog while investigating the reason why your nameserver
      refused to load the zone.

Verifying zone data for domain 'netpacq.com'.
Getting NS RRset...
Transferring zone.... (from 'NS1.NETPACQ.NET' [208.239.156.4])
Parsing zone data...  (NS BIND version: 8.2.2-P5)

Misconfigured RNAME field.
> @                     1D IN SOA       ns1.netpacq.net. webmaster\@cx1.com. (
                                        10422010        ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1w1d            ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

Performing in-zone and external lookups...

Warning: found zone(s) not having at least two listed nameservers (RFC-1034):
 @                      86400   IN NS   ns1.netpacq.net.
Warning: found inconsistent NS RRsets surrounding the zone boundary (RFC-1034):
 netpacq.com.           IN NS   ns1.ardentmicro.com.
                        IN NS   ns1.netpacq.net.
                        IN NS   ns2.netpacq.net.
                        IN NS   ns3.netpacq.net.
 (non-authoritative)
 (  authoritative  )
 @                      IN NS   ns1.netpacq.net.
Warning: verifying the NS delegations generated the following error(s):
 Server ns1.ardentmicro.com is not authoritative for netpacq.com
 Server ns2.netpacq.net is not authoritative for netpacq.com