Can DNS & POP3 on the same server?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sat Jul 1 23:50:04 UTC 2000

    >> At 03:09 AM 7/1/2000, Rookie wrote:
    >> as title If my DNS & POP3 is the same machine,then how to setup
    >> the MX record?

    Paul> This is a current problem with Send mail, you will need to
    Paul> have bind and send mail on a different server, unless you
    Paul> use send mail for "internal only" email.

Your reply barely makes sense. And the only sense I can make of it is
nonsense. You seem to be saying that the name server and sendmail
can't run on the same machine. This is just wrong. Or did you mean
that someone can't send mail from a machine running a name server?
That's wrong too. What your advice has to do with the original
question about POP servers and MX record's is anyone's guess, but let
that rest. And on most UNIX systems, sendmail (not "send mail") is
involved in the delivery of every piece of mail: internal and
external. If it's not sendmail, some other MHS/MTA like qmail or
Postfix will perform that role. Just about every UNIX mail front-end
or User Agent (elm, pine, mh, Mail, Eudora, etc) will call sendmail to
figure out how to deliver the message that's being sent, whether it's
for a local or an external address.