forwarding errors ..

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jul 1 01:20:55 UTC 2000

Mark R. Nathan wrote:

> I have added the Zone MIRABOO.COM.  I am trying to forward
> miraboo.com to miraboomusic.com whenever a www request is made.  Here
> is how files look like before I add a CNAME or A to the db.miraboo:
>
> -- snippet -- [named.conf]
>
> zone "nathan.net" {
>          type master;
>          file "db.dns1";
> };
>
> -- snippet -- [cutout reverse lookup and local db info for
> description of problem]
>
> # Additional Domains below
>
> zone "miraboo.com" {
>          type master;
>          file "db.miraboo";
> };
>
> -- snippet -- [db.miraboo]
>
> $TTL 86400 miraboo.com. IN  SOA miraboo.com.  root.nathan.net.  (
>                          6242000         ; Serial
>                          10800           ; Refresh
>                          3600            ; Retry
>                          604800          ; Expire
>                          86400  )        ; Minimum
>
>                          IN  NS          dns1.nathan.net.
>                          IN  A           209.204.28.46
>                          IN  MX  10      mailhost.nathan.net.
> localhost               IN  A           127.0.0.1
> miraboo.com.            IN  A           209.204.28.46
>
> ------------------------
>
> Setting up this way always gives me BIND errors:
>
> $TTL 86400 miraboo.com. IN  SOA miraboo.com.  root.nathan.net.  (

Is that $TTL *really* on the same line as the SOA record? Or did it just
get munged that way with your cut & paste? It should be a separate line.

>                          6242000         ; Serial
>                          10800           ; Refresh
>                          3600            ; Retry
>                          604800          ; Expire
>                          86400  )        ; Minimum
>
>                          IN  NS          dns1.nathan.net.
>                          IN  A           209.204.28.46
>                          IN  MX  10      mailhost.nathan.net.
> localhost               IN  A           127.0.0.1
> miraboo.com.            IN  A           209.204.28.46
> www                     IN  A           www.miraboomusic.com.

No, you can only have an IP address on the right-hand side of an A record.
You could, if you wished, simply put the IP address of
"www.miraboomusic.com" in that spot. Or, alternatively, make it a CNAME,
as you attempt below...

> or
>
> www.miraboo.com         CNAME  A        www.miraboomusic.com.

No, you can't have a record be both a CNAME and an A record, and certainly
not on the same line. Just get rid of "A" and it should work fine. (To be
consistent with the rest of the zone file, though, you should put "IN" in
front of "CNAME").

- Kevin