ndc problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Jan 31 23:15:57 UTC 2000

In article <38960986.BE07FEC4 at att.com>, Sheng Zhu  <sz at att.com> wrote:
>Don't know if anyone else have seen this problem, but ndc seems
>insecure when it allows any user on the local system to kill the named
>process - no matter whether you have control statement in the config
>or not. It will not allow any user to start the named process though.
>
>The control statementin the named.conf looks like this:
>     control { unix "/etc/ndc" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0; };
>and the ndc socket seems created with correct permission when named
>is started by root:
>     srw-------    1    root    root        0    Jan 31 21:31
>/etc/ndc
>
>This ndc behavior was observed on a Sun Ultra system running Solaris
>2.6 patched at 105181_15. The bind source code is 8.2.2-P5 compiled
>on the same system with Sun Spro CC 4.2. Any comments or help will
>be appreciated. Thanks,

I think the problem may be that Solaris doesn't implement access control on
Unix-domain sockets, so the permissions have no effect.  The solution is to
put the socket in a directory that only root has execute permission to,
e.g.

mkdir /etc/ndcdir
chmod 700 /etc/ndcdir

Rebuild named and ndc with DESTRUN configured to /etc/ndcdir.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com