Bind 2.2.2-P5 crashing on Solaris 7

Bryan Davis bryan at nicusa.com
Mon Jan 31 18:56:02 UTC 2000

The named daemon from bind 2.2.2-p5 is dying on my Solaris 7 box almost
exactly hour after it's started. There is really no indication of what's
going wrong in the log files. I'm running with the debug level set to 3
or higher. The last record to the debugging log prior to the crash is:

Jan 31 10:01:52 grendel named[6412]: Cleaned cache of 0 RRsets

I've searched the mailing list archive for info on this happening to
anyone else and have seen no reference to the same problem.  What does
named do one hour after startup? It's got to be a problem with some very
periodic action.

One strange thing about my current situation is that the server DOES NOT
have internet access. We are still in the process of getting our
external connectivity setup at a new company and the machine is only
available on a local ethernet at the moment. We will however be running
live to the world in the not too distant future.

'ndc status' shows:
named 8.2.2-P5 Wed Jan 26 10:25:52 MST 2000
root at grendel:/usr/local/src/bind-src/bin/named
number of zones allocated: 64
debug level: 3
xfers running: 0
xfers deferred: 0
soa queries in progress: 0
query logging is OFF
server is STILL priming
server IS NOT loading its configuration

Thanks for any help,
Bryan Davis
--
Bryan Davis         - Idaho Information Consortium -
<bryan at nicusa.com>       Director of Development