bind and sendmail

Brian dream at inferno.hi.vizip.com
Mon Jan 31 10:20:41 UTC 2000

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Brad wrote:

-
-I have entered an mx record for my domain into the zone file. What I want to
-do, is be able to accept mail on
-user at mydomain.com and also user at somehost.mydomain.com
-the zone file mx records look a bit like this..
-

I am assuming that "yourdomain.com" is hosted on "weapon.mydomain.com"
if this is the case then, you do not need to specify a mail exchanger for
the actual host machine. But you do need to specify an exchanger for the
domain. Your db.mydomain.com file should look something like this...

mydomain.com	IN 	A	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
		IN 	MX 	10 weapon.mydomain.com.
weapon		IN 	A 	xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If your machine is still not accepting mail for "mydomain.com" then create
a "sendmail.cw" file in and define the path to it in "/etc/sendmail.cf"
inside sendmail.cw list the domains and hosts that your machine will
accept mail for. then restart sendmail.

--Brian

-weapon                        IN      MX      10 weapon.mydomain.com.
-(weapon has an A record)
-
-
-I have also added this:
-
-host                              IN     CNAME    weapon.mydomain.com.
-www.host                     IN     CNAME    weapon.mydomain.com.
-
-now I want to be able to accept mail for the main domain and the
-host.mydomain
-so I have tried with an MX record like this...
-host                               IN    MX            weapon.mydomain.com.
-
-this does not seem to be working. I have added mydomain.com and also
-host.mydomain.com to the sendmail.cf file
-
- Does anyone have any enlightnement for me with this?
- Thanx in adv
-Brad
-
-