InterNIC host registration

Glenn Huish glennh at thirdage.com
Sat Jan 29 01:23:19 UTC 2000

hi all-

I need to do something I've never heard of anyone doing before. Can I
change the host registration info for my nameserver without disrupting
service? Let me explain a bit-

I have multiple domains hosted on my nameserver, with all of my domains
pointing at the same machines, and each domain seeing each machine as part
of it's domain:

foo.db:	bar.db:		other.db:
ns.foo.com	ns.bar.com	ns.other.com	=IN A aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa
www.foo.com	www.bar.com	www.other.com 	=IN A bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb
mail.foo.com	mail.bar.com	mail.other.com	=IN A ccc.ccc.ccc.ccc

etc, etc, ad nauseum. H2N does this automatically, and it suits our needs
very well. These are mostly typo domains, misspellings and such. They are
all registered with ns.foo.com as the primary nameserver, with our ISP
listed as secondary.

If I change the host registration for the primary nameserver from
ns.foo.com to ns.bar.com, will it affect the registration the domains that
list ns.foo.com as primary? I know you can't register a domain with a
nameserver that's not registered, but what if you de-register (in effect) a
server that's already in use by a domain? I had hoped I could just register
multiple hosts on the same IP address, but the host reg form is pretty
specific about it: one host=one IP address.

Assuming it's possible, and won't magically unregister all my domains, will
it affect the performance of dns during the time the InterNIC is out of
sync with my zone info? Note that I'm not changing nameservers, nor IP
addresses, nor anything else about the host itself, just the domain that
it's registered under with NetSol. The server is authoritative for all the
zones no matter what, so would there be any effect at all?

The way i see it, the scenario should play like so:

1-send in modify host form
2-upon confirmation, send in domain modify forms w/host change
3-update zone.db files w/new NS record

Either I can change all of my zone.db files before the modify goes through,
say, when I get the confirmation from NetSol, or after I verify the change
is completed. Either way, the info will be out of sync for a few days
minimum, and I can't afford for this to affect traffic, as these are live
sites.

TIA for any suggestions or advice.

glenn