Dynamic DNS Help

Sean Hurley intellenet.news at seansapt.com
Sat Jan 29 00:54:49 UTC 2000

Hello All,

    I am looking for some direction.  I have some basic knowledge of DNS.  I
have used BIND version 4.6 and 8.x and have also used NT DNS.  I now would
like to venture into the world of Dynamic DNS for win9x clients.  I
understand that the win9x clients are not DynamicDNS aware, but win2k
clients are.  So, from what I understand so far is that the win9x clients
get their IP address from a dhcp server and then the DHCP server reports
that IP to the DNS server.  Win2k DHCP and DNS servers do this natively.  My
question is are there any UNIX BIND (8.x) servers that work with UNIX DHCP
servers in the same fashion?  Or, are there any UNIX BIND (8.x) servers that
will work with Win2k DHCP servers or vice versa?  If you can point me even
to a website or otherwise to get me started, I would appreciate it.

TIA,

Sean