DNS/BIND and firewall ports?

Daniel Yoo dyoo at sfu.ca
Fri Jan 28 23:30:17 UTC 2000

Hello,

I'm currently running BIND 8.1.2 on a Linux Router (kernel 2.0.36) that
doubles as a firewall.

Previously I had completely closed all incoming UDP ports and then using
ipfwadm I opened up only those ports that I needed.

However, after installing BIND, I can only get DNS lookups to work if UDP
ports are open. I'm not sure what range to restrict the UDP ports to, and
was wondering if I could get help from someone?

I'd like to explain my setup in more detail, but I'm still a bit new to
this, and all I can say is that it works. It serve my domain name, and I
believe it does is caches the DNS requests from my small network.

Thanks in advance,

Danny