named.boot vs. named.conf ???

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jan 28 18:03:32 UTC 2000

>>>>> "JESSE" == JESSE FIELDS <fields_jesse at smtpgate.salkeiz.k12.or.us> writes:

    JESSE> I keep both just because I have this habbit of doing things
    JESSE> the way I was originally taught.  I find it easy enough to
    JESSE> just make my changes in named.boot and run named-bootconf
    JESSE> to convert it to named.conf.  However, if you have a huge
    JESSE> named.boot, you may want to start editing named.conf to
    JESSE> save some time.

Well just because I was first taught computer programming with BASIC,
a teletype and paper tape doesn't mean I still write code that way.
Times change. BIND4 is very dead. [IIRC the last BIND4 release was
around three years ago.] There's no point in sticking with an old
config file format for some long-dead code and continually mangling
that to get the "new" config file. named-bootconf is really meant as a
one-shot tool to ease the migration to BIND8, not artificially prolong
the life of named.boot files.