SOA and PTR Records

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Jan 28 15:02:26 UTC 2000

In article <S05k4.2602$%87.69437 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
Max <mightymax at yipinet.com> wrote:
>Quick question regarding soa information and ptr zone files. This is a new
>machine running 8.2.2 patch 5. This is a fresh config borrowing from another
>bind machine
>
>so my zone file currently looks like this
>
>-->    @  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (
>
>I was reading the O'Reilly book and their example says to do this:
>
>-->    zone.com.  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (
>
>Which is the correct version???

Both are.

>And the zone files for my PTR records... should they look like this
>
>-->    @  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (
>
>or like the O'Reilly example
>
>-->    0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.  IN SOA ns1.zone.com. root.ns1.zone.com.  (
>
>I'm really confused. Thanks for your help.

Both are correct.

@ is a shorthand for the current origin, which defaults to the name of the
zone.  Some people recommend using @ so that the file will continue to work
if you rename the zone.  Others recommend putting the zone name in there
explicitly, so you'll catch the error if you mistakenly use a file with the
wrong zone statement.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com