Forwarding

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 27 18:23:11 UTC 2000

Jon wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am using bind ver8, and have a configuration question.    I need
> to forward different request to different places.   example:
> if zone is local, the do lookup local
> If lookup is from domain.com forward the request to DNS server 1
> if lookup is for domain2.com send the rquest to DNS server 2
> All other requests send it to DNS server 3
>
> Can anyone give me a hint on how to do this?

As of BIND 8.2, you can specify different forwarders on a zone-by-zone
basis. Look at the documentation for the "zone" statement. One thing
that you _cannot_ do elegantly (yet) is forward differently based on the
source address of the query. But why not just configure those clients to
use a different nameserver or a different nameserver instance running on
the same (multi-homed or multi-virtual-homed) machine?

- Kevin