forwarders

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 27 18:16:32 UTC 2000

Arulmozhi Sengodan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone ever tried to get forwarders to work in BIND on UNIX?  I've got a
> server that flat out refuses to forward....  It's BIND 8.1.2.  The options
> entry looks like this:
>
> options {
>  directory "/etc/named";
>  forwarders {
>   172.16.1.14;
>  };
> };
>
> Any help would be most welcome.

  That looks OK to me, although you might want to explicitly specify "forward
only" or "forward first", depending on the exact behavior you want.

How did you determine that it's not forwarding properly? Remember that the
nameserver won't forward for anything that's already in its cache, or for which
it has authoritative data. Given those parameters, are you sure the queries you
think should be forwarded really *should* be forwarded?

Lastly, verify that the machine to which you're forwarding accepts recursive
queries from your machine. If it doesn't, you're not going to be able to use it
as your forwarder unless you can get the rule changed.

- Kevin