Confused dns/bind newbie

joseph lang tcnojl1 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 26 21:48:45 UTC 2000

Stephen Eickhoff wrote:

> It's a hack... this is a hobby network, and I have only one IP address on ADSL. I'll
> look at it as a hack and live with it as it is. The reason why mail gets there at all is
> because I have gateway software running on Liszt which portmaps SMTP to Orff. It also
> redirects port 53 to Orff. That's why my domain record looks screwy.
>
> Yup, Network Solutions let me designate only one nameserver. Since I am not running
> anything mission critical, in fact I have no mission *grin*, I can live with it.

it's not as bad as it looks ;-)
to get e-mail working your MX record has to provide a
resolvable name. In this case liszt, since it's the only
real internet address you have.
so now the question is does any host on your internal
network depend on the MX record pointing to orff?
I'm going to assume no for now.

next problem the NS record. It need's to be a real internet host
also. So.. will changing it to liszt (your only address...)
break anything? If it does then you need to split your dns in two
one inside, one outside. This may be more than you want for a
hobby network. You may be able to get things working by using
a hosts file inside and dns outside. Small network Right? ;-)

joe lang