Help with Setting up a DNS Behind a Firewall...

Scott Townsend scott at serra.com
Wed Jan 26 17:17:38 UTC 2000

I've set up a firewall and now I need to set up the internal DNS for use
behind it.

I'm pretty sure it needs to be a primary. I guess I would not want to
transfer from the outside DNS to the inside & vise versa.  I'm concerned
about the domains that exist on the outside and the Inside of the Firewall.
Specifically with mail.  I'm still going to need a copy of each of the
domains that our Mail server services on the inside as well as on the
outside right?  Even if there are no physical machines? Or should I just let
it query the outside server and then have it come back to the Mailserver.

On the internal machines do I only want the one internal DNS Server Listed?

Thanks,

Scott<-

Scott Townsend                           | Voice: 707.433.5104 Ext: 133
Serra Systems, Inc. - E&M Electric, Inc. | Fax  : 707.431.2660
Information Systems Manager              | 126 Mill St
Systems Programmer                       | Healdsburg, CA 95448-4400