Confused dns/bind newbie

Stephen Eickhoff eickhsr at jm-usa.com
Mon Jan 24 17:12:24 UTC 2000

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

> > I am at my wits end, and I hope that some one can help me out.
> >
> > I am using bind-8.2-6 (from RedHat 6) and a program called Webmin
> > (http://www.webmin.com/webmin) to add DNS information. I have added
> > the following zone into my name server:
> [snip]
> > goatfest.com. IN      NS      ns1.moewes.com.
> > www.goatfest.com.     IN      A       63.226.143.34
>
> > goatfest.com. IN      MX      10 mail.moewes.com
>
>         "mail.moewes.com" is missing the final period which says
>         the name is absolute.  Without the final period the current
>         origin (goatfest.com) is appended.
>
>         Mark

I have a somewhat similar problem. I'd like to be able to host my webpage as
http://operagost.com, but my mail server is on another machine behind the firewall
with a reserved IP, and the only way to get email is to address it to
orff.operagost.com.(BIND 8.1.2) I have a NAT running on "liszt" which redirects
SMTP to "orff".

@ IN SOA orff.operagost.com. POSTMASTER.orff.operagost.com. (
          19991213             ;           Serial number
          3600                 ; 1 hour    Refresh
          300                  ; 5 minutes Retry
          172800               ; 2 days    Expire
          43200 )              ; 12 hours  Minimum
                               IN NS    orff.operagost.com.
operagost.com.                 IN MX  5 orff.operagost.com.
liszt.operagost.com.           IN A     151.197.22.14
orff.operagost.com.            IN A     192.168.0.20
operagost.com.                 IN A     151.197.22.14
www                            IN CNAME liszt.operagost.com.

So what did I mess up here?