How do I host my own website??

Alex Miller bind-users at bannerclub.com
Sun Jan 23 19:06:33 UTC 2000

Gabriel,

A static IP address connected to the internet is a valuable thing.

Given the OS you have, you need to install either the Microsoft
Personal Web Server and some sort of email package like Post.Office

But I have to honestly try to direct you in the Linux direction. Running
software on Windows, is like building a house on shifting sand. It can
work, and may work well, but the failures may come hard and hurt you.

So consider this investment. Get a second computer, it doesn't have
to be a particularly good one and doesn't even have to have a monitor.

Install Suse Linux 6.3 on that computer from the CD-ROM. It comes with
and 60 days installation support and a good book.

Right out of the box you will have an apache server (THE standard web
server on the internet) and sendmail, a tried and true mail program.

You will also have bind so you can create your own nameserver (that's
what this mailing list is all about) so you can use that static
IP address to host many different domains on that same computer!
You will find a lot of help on this list for making a top-notch
nameserver.

But if you are afraid of throwing away your NT, don't worry. Your
new Suse Linux machine will work wonderfully as a gateway for your
Windows NT box. The Linux box will "serve" the internet to your
NT.

That is called IP masquerading and it means that you can hook up a
whole network to the internet through that gateway. The Suse telephone
support will probably not help you with that but there is plenty of help
for that on the SUSE support mailing list which is one of the most
active mailing lists.

This scenario also means that when your NT box is coughing and spewing
horrible things, you will still have your important functionality, your
connection to the internet and your email (your lifeline) working
on a reliable 24/7 system.

There really is a reason why V.A. Linux, which does nothing but install
Linux onto very good hardware and ship it out, had the highest single
day gain for any first day of issue for a single stock EVER.

Alex