Searchable Reference Regarding Errors and Warnings

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Jan 21 21:42:09 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin writes:
>That message means that the NS record points to your machine, but it
>doesn't have the zone in its configuration.  If it's configured as a slave
>for some.domain, maybe it has been getting errors when it tries to transfer
>the zone.

	That turns out to be exactly what happened.  I had a syntax
error of some kind in the named.conf file but it wasn't showing up in
the logs as such.  I finally took the whole zone out and put it back
and things began to work.  I complicated the diagnostic process a bit
by plain stupidity when I once thought I had put the zone back.  What
I did was put it back in /etc/named.conf which was left over on the
system from bind8.1 instead of /usr/local/etc/named.conf.

	I wondered why there was no mention of errors or anything
regarding this zone.  The errors i mentioned previously were a result
of that missing zone.  I didn't discover that mistake until I went to the
correct named.conf file and, guess what, no zone.

	I may never know why the transfers stopped originally, but it
works like a charm, now.  Thanks.

	Maybe I should work on the error list.  My bind log is a great
sampler.

	Martin McCormick