Win32 Dinamic DNS Client libs

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Jan 21 20:29:40 UTC 2000

James Risler wrote in response to a posting on RFC 2136:
>Finally, Microsoft has no way of protecting a name within DNS.  So, FIFO
>will take effect where names are concerned.  That is the overwriting of
>names within DNS.  Two computers with the same name, the last one
>registered will be in DNS.

I am not sure what is meant by this.  In the Windows 2000 RC2 (and
later) code, during the registration process of the forward address

     xxxxx   IN   A    aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

there are prereq checks to insure that

     1) xxxxx is not already a CNAME, and
     2) xxxxx is not already an A record.

Thus, an existing forward address will not be overwritten.

In the registration process of the reverse pointer

     aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd  IN  PTR   xxxxx.

there is one prereq check to insure that

     aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is not already a CNAME

This check, which I assumed was copied from the forward dynamic
registration code, was added in RC2; it was not in the Beta3 code.
The test should, I believe, check for a PTR, not a CNAME.  The bug
exists in the final RTM (Release To Manufacturing) code that will be in
the stores on Feb 17.  I have reported this bug to MS, but I have heard
nothing back from the developers.  With the faulty prereq check, an
existing reverse pointer will get overwritten.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov