Searchable Reference Regarding Errors and Warnings

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Fri Jan 21 01:03:45 UTC 2000

> I don't know offhand of a resource more complete than the O'Reilly book.
> Unfortunately, it only describes some of the most common errors.

For each new edition, I go back to the newsgroup (and for the fourth,
I'm going through the Mr. DNS archive) and add answers to frequently
asked questions.  A few people have suggested that I include explanations
of every syslog message that BIND produces, but that would not only be
difficult to compile, it'd be out-of-date with each new release of BIND.
Still, I'm going to try to add lots of new answers to the fourth edition.

BTW, the CD-ROM version of "DNS and BIND" is great for
searching for errors.

> > I want to know what this condition means, but better yet, I
> >would like to see a listing somewhere, preferably in searchable form,
> >of every single ill-health condition and at least a thumbnail
> >description of what caused it so we can more quickly fix the problem
> >and spend less time on a wild goose chase.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if all software came with something like this.
> Unfortunately, hardly any does, and BIND is little different from the
rest.

I wonder if this would be a worthwhile thing to try to compile, as an
adjunct to the FAQ.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.